Bexleyheath Engineering work
The Bexleyheath line will be closed Saturday 15 to Sunday 23 February 2020.
Engineering work on the Bexleyheath Line from Saturday 15 to Sunday 23 February 2020
What’s happening on the Bexleyheath Line?
Network Rail will be closing the Bexleyheath line during February half term and over several weekends, to carry out major work to prevent landslips.The work follows four landslips in the past ten years – the most recent in February 2019 which closed the line for seven days. By doing the work over a 9 day closure, we can
- Reduce the risk of landslips on the line
- Reduce the amount of weekend closures on the railway
- Bring forward other work to reduce the need for future closures on the line
This work is part of a £1.25 billion investment to improve journeys for passengers on the Kent network. The work will involve replacing track, improving drainage, upgrades to points and other works which will improve journeys for passengers travelling on this part of the Kent network. There's never an ideal time to disrupt your journey but by working with Network Rail we can minimise the disruption.
How will this affect my journey?
The work will impact Southeastern services, on the Bexleyheath line. There will be no rail service between Kidbrooke and Barnhurst station only, replacement bus services will run during this time.
What services will be running on the days work is carried out?
We know there is never a good time to close the railway, so Network rail have chosen to do the work in the February half-term when passenger demand is typically lower. For those passengers travelling Saturday 15 to Sunday 23 February 2020 we will work to keep people moving.
- The railway will close between Kidbrooke station and Barnehurst station only, where buses will replace trains.
- The Woolwich and Sidcup lines and the Charlton to Blackheath link will remain open.
- Capacity on these lines will be increased by running additional or longer trains where possible.
- Rail replacement bus services will run and tickets will be accepted on all other reasonable routes.
More detailed information on the exact times of alternative train and bus replacement services will be available nearer the closure.