Operating in a socially and environmentally responsible way is a huge part of our vision. Learn more about Southeastern's commitment to the environment
Our commitment to the environment
We believe in green public transport - with rail travel being one of the most environmentally-friendly ways to travel. Operating in a socially and environmentally responsible way is important to us.
Meeting your needs in an environmentally responsible way
Southeastern works together with industry partners, contractors and suppliers to reduce our environmental impact and measure and report on our performance. We’re always looking for ways to improve how we work and go beyond what the law and regulation require of us.
We’re focusing on:
- Energy use associated with powering our trains
- Energy use associated with operating our stations and depots
- Waste management
Our objectives include:
- Reducing electricity and gas consumption
- Increasing the amount of waste diverted from landfill
- Engaging our employees to reduce the environmental impact of our activities
Overall, we want to provide you with a train service that we can be proud of.
Recent environmental statistics - 17 September 2017 - 6 January 2018
|Carbon emissions per passenger journey (kg CO2 ppj*)|| 1.35
|Site electric (kWh*)||8,262,702|
|Site gas (kWh*)||2,985,430|
|Train electricity fuel efficiency (vehicle miles per KWh*)||0.26|
|Waste recycled|| 52.2%
|Waste subject to other recovery (e.g. incineration)||27.7%|
|Complaints in respect of noise**|| 5
|Environment incidents reported, including any enforcement action||0|
*Subject to change following final billing.
** Noise nuisance to neighbours, including train horns sounded in depots and yards.
Year end data is reported by the Go-Ahead Group.
Did you know?
- We use technology to generate energy when many of our trains brake and return it as electricity to the rail system
- We have upgraded our lighting at a number of stations and depots to a new energy efficient LED system, reducing energy use
- We monitor our water consumption with meters and work to fix leaks
Our environmental and energy policy
Through innovation, we will drive continual environmental and energy improvements.
Curious to learn more?
Questions about our services?