Operating in a socially and environmentally responsible way is a huge part of our vision. Learn more about Southeastern's commitment to the environment
Our commitment to the environment
Meeting your needs in an environmentally responsible way
- Energy use associated with powering our trains
- Energy use associated with operating our stations and depots
- Waste management
- Reducing electricity and gas consumption
- Increasing the amount of waste diverted from landfill
- Engaging our employees to reduce the environmental impact of our activities
Recent environmental statistics - 28 June 2020 – 19 September 2020 (2020/21 P04 – P06)
|Carbon (KgCO2e)||Market based||Location based|
|Carbon emissions per passenger journey (kgCO2ppj)|| 0.005
|Carbon emissions kg carbon per vehicle mile|| 0.002
|Site electric (kWh)||4,011,453|
|Site gas (kWh)||358,535|
|Site solar (kWh)||213, 198|
|Train electricity fuel efficiency (vehicle miles per kWh)|| 0.291
|Waste subject to other recovery (e.g. Incineration)||75.0%|
|Complaints in respect of noise||5|
|Environment incidents reported, included any enforcement action||0|
Methodology, scope and exclusions
Carbon reporting relates to Scope 1 &2 and includes electricity and gas, does not include fugitive emissions from air conditioning equipment (where this is available) and estimates of emission from road vehicle use.
Scope 2 emissions include both a 'location' and a 'market' basis. This dual reporting applies to CO2e emissions arising from our electricity consumption only. The location based method uses the national average carbon factors for mains electricity which takes the total mix of fuels used to generate electricity. 2020 DEFRA carbon factors have been used in this report. The market-based method uses supplier or product specific carbon factors (where available), which reflect supply between the supplier and customer.
Energy use reflects in year use which includes estimations, which also influences carbon reported here, so energy and carbon use is subject to change at year end. Our final year end performance is reported as part of Go-Ahead Group Annual Report and Accounts. Noise complaints do not include complaints related to train horns.
Did you know?
- We use technology to generate energy when many of our trains brake and return it as electricity to the rail system
- We have upgraded our lighting at a number of stations and depots to a new energy efficient LED system, reducing energy use
- We monitor our water consumption with meters and work to fix leaks
Our environmental and energy policy
Questions about our services?