Penalty Fares Policy
We are committed to ensuring all journeys are paid for
About our Penalty Fares
Travelling without a ticket
- travels without a valid ticket
- cannot produce an appropriate railcard on a discounted ticket
- travels in first class accommodation with a standard ticket
- is aged 16 or over, travelling on a child-rate ticket
- travels beyond their ticket destination
Penalty Fares overcharging
We’ve discovered an administrative error that resulted in some passengers issued with a penalty fare being overcharged.
This error only affected a small proportion of the penalty fares we issued between April 2018 and July 2019. The fares were issued for the correct reason - to passengers travelling without a valid ticket - but the amount charged was incorrect.
This error followed changes to penalty fares legislation in April 2018, and an error was made in the guidance issued to train operating companies on how these fares should be calculated.
We’ve written to affected passengers with the appropriate refund due to them.
If you haven’t been contacted and believe you were affected, please contact us using our online Contact Us form, or call us on 0345 322 7021.