High speed trains
Get there quicker on our 140mph Javelin trains, on the UK’s only high speed train line, running from London St Pancras International to top destinations in Kent
We're celebrating 10 years of high speed service
Over the past decade, over 100 million passenger journeys have been made on Southeastern’s Highspeed service, which first opened for business with a special preview service on June 29, 2009.
Travel at speed
We run the UK’s only high speed train line. Our Javelin trains travel at high speeds up to 140mph from London St Pancras International or Stratford International to Ebbsfleet International and Ashford International, that go on to call at many stations across Kent – including Canterbury, Margate, Ramsgate, Dover, Whitstable and Folkestone. So you can get where you need to be, faster.
If you are looking for some inspiration of things to eat, see and do on our network, check out our itineraries which are full of days out ideas.
You can buy a supplement and upgrade to high speed services if you have:
- A valid ticket or Season Ticket for any Southeastern service into London
- A Travelcard starting from a Southeastern station outside the London Travelcard area
You can buy daily high speed upgrades from ticket offices. If you don’t have a valid existing ticket and you want to use the high speed line you should buy a high speed ticket instead.
Buying a high speed supplement – what else should I know?
- The origin and destination stations on your supplement must match those on your original ticket
- You won’t be able to buy a high speed upgrade supplement if your existing ticket is for travel within the London area only
Can I use my ticket on a high speed service?
- PLUS HIGH SPEED – for tickets
- ANY PERMITTED – for long distance tickets, for example if you are continuing your journey beyond St Pancras International
- UPGRADE + HIGH SPEED – for supplements, when shown with an existing valid ticket for Southeastern services in and out of London
Travelling on a Season Ticket?
- Weekly high speed upgrades are not available
- Earlybird ticket holders can't upgrade to high speed
Can I get a discount?
- Family & Friends
- Network Railcard
- Two Together
- Forces Railcard
If you use a Railcard to get a discount, normal minimum fare rules will still apply.
Using Oyster PAYG and Contactless
You can save time on your commute and skip the ticket machine by using Oyster pay as you go and Contactless payments to travel on high speed services between London St Pancras International and Stratford International.
The Oyster/Contactless fares between these stations will be the same as or lower than the standard high speed ticket prices. Remember though, separate high speed pay as you go rates apply. This new fare is not included within daily or weekly capping.
Note that London Travelcards are not accepted on high speed train services.
For full details on Oyster and Contactless payment visit tfl.gov.uk/fares-and-payments.
Ways to save
Are you planning a weekend getaway, or thinking of travelling in a group of three to nine adults? Take advantage of our cheap Off-Peak train tickets such as Weekender, GroupSave and Kids for a £1 to make the most of your trip. Find more ways to save and check out our top money saving tips.
- Southeastern introduced the UK’s first domestic high speed service from East Kent to St Pancras International in June 2009
- This service has cut journey times between Central London and Kent
- The high speed trains played a key role during the London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games as the Javelin shuttle service. Many of the trains are named after Olympic athletes
- All high speed services on our routes to Kent are Hitachi Class 395 trains
Tempted to travel on our high speed trains? Explore our network map and start planning your journey now!
Questions about our services?