Are you entitled to compensation for a delayed train journey or other service issue? Check our FAQs to find out how to claim…
Got a question? We can help...
Can I claim compensation for a delayed journey?
Yes, if your journey is delayed by 30 minutes or more. This scheme is called Delay Repay and it’s a national compensation scheme for rail users.
How is compensation calculated?
|Ticket type||Length of delay|
|30 - 59 mins||1 hour - 1 hour 59 mins||2 hours +|
|Single||50% of ticket price||100% of ticket price||100% of ticket price|
|Return||25% of ticket price||50% of tickets price||100% of ticket price|
|Season||50% of journey rate
|100% of journey rate
|200% of journey rate
Average journey rate for Season Ticket holders
So we can calculate the right compensation, here’s how we work out the average cost of a journey:
|Season ticket type||Journey rate|
How many claims can I make on one form?
- With an online form you can claim for up to five journeys
- With a paper form you can claim for up to four journeys
How is Delay Repay compensation paid?
- Electronic bank transfer (BACS) – simply provide your sort code and account number
- Visa – simply provide your long card number, expiry date and security code
- PayPal – simply give us your PayPal email address
- eVoucher – redeemable for ticket purchases online through the Southeastern website
- Cashable vouchers (if refund is £50 or less) – swap them for cash at any Southeastern ticket office within 28 days (please bring some photo ID), or use them to buy train tickets within a year
- Cheque – we’ll send you a cheque if you don’t choose a payment method, and/or if the refund is over £50
When will I be sent my banked compensation?
- If you bank monthly and were awarded compensation between 1 January and 31 January, we’ll send your voucher/cheque on 25 February.
- If you bank quarterly and were awarded compensation during January, February or March, we’ll send your voucher/cheque on 25 April.
I use Oyster pay as you go – can I still claim compensation?
- the Transport for London website
- a London Underground ticket office
I've been repeatedly delayed recently. Do you offer anything extra to Season Ticket holders?
How do I claim Enhanced compensation?
- Download an Enhanced compensation claim form (pdf)
- Ask for the claim form at your local Southeastern station
How can I claim Delay Repay when using my Contactless bank card?
I've heard about plans to change the compensation thresholds, when will these be introduced on Southeastern?
Why can't the compensation thresholds be changed any sooner?
How many claims can a season ticket holder make in one day?
Do I need to use Delay Repay before I claim Enhanced compensation?
How will Enhanced compensation be paid?
- A single peak journey between the stations on your Season Ticket (in the form of cashable National Rail vouchers)
- Two free day passes to use on any Southeastern service within a year