If you bought a ticket from a Southeastern station or the Southeastern website or app and you decide not to travel due to concerns about coronavirus, please see below.
We cannot process refunds for tickets bought from other retailers or operators. Please contact your original ticket retailer for refund assistance.
We are currently receiving a high volume of enquiries, as a result refunds are currently taking longer to process than normal.
How to obtain a refund
- If you purchased your tickets from Southeastern’s website, you can use our self-service refund facility (except for Advance tickets and daily tickets which have passed their date of travel). Please log in, navigate to My Account, then Manage my tickets/refunds to apply.
- If you have the Key, and are unable can’t log into your account and/or use the self-service refund facility, please complete our online Key refund form.
- If you purchased your paper season ticket at a Southeastern-managed station you wouldn’t usually be able to request a refund online. But we know that many passengers can’t currently go to a ticket office or post office. So we’ve introduced a new temporary refund process to allow passengers with paper Season tickets to claim refunds online during the coronavirus pandemic.
Paper season ticket refund form
- If you purchased your season ticket at a Southeastern-managed station but are currently unable to return it to a ticket office because you are practicing social distancing, you can apply for a part-refund by post by downloading and completing the refund form and sending it to us with your ticket. We recommend you use recorded delivery. Please be aware, that due to unprecedented demand, this process will take longer than normal to complete.
- If you purchased an Advance ticket from Southeastern’s website and it is eligible for a refund (category 1 or 2 above), please download and complete the refund form and send it with the ticket(s) you want refunded and a copy of your booking confirmation (or just the booking confirmation if the ticket has not been printed).
- For daily tickets purchased from Southeastern’s website which have passed their validity date, please download and complete the download the refund form and send it with the ticket you want refunded, and a copy of your booking confirmation (or just the booking confirmation if the ticket is a Key smartcard).
- All postal refund applications should be sent to:
Southeastern Online Refunds
ASHBY DE LA ZOUCH
How to obtain a voucher in exchange for an Advance ticket (category 1)
If you are eligible for a voucher in exchange for an Advance ticket, we will credit your online account with an e-voucher, for use against a future ticket purchase of your choice, or if you do not have an online account we will post you a National Rail Travel Voucher.
Tickets bought from other retailers
Refunds for tickets purchased from other retailers (for example Trainline) need to obtained from the original retailer.
Anytime, Off Peak and Super Off Peak tickets
Tickets that have not started yet:
- Tickets purchased from Southeastern which have not started yet can be refunded in full.
- Southeastern will not charge an admin fee for these refunds.
Tickets which have passed their date of travel:
- Unused daily tickets purchased from us can be refunded in full, with no admin fee.
- Under normal circumstances we charge an admin fee for refunds of daily tickets which have passed their date of validity. We have temporarily waived this rule and no admin fees will be charged.
- A deduction from the refund will be made in the case of part-used tickets, minus the cost of the journey(s) actually made
- We will only accept refund applications up to 56 days after the date of travel.
Tickets that have not started yet:
- Tickets purchased from Southeastern which have not started yet can be refunded in full minus a £10 admin fee
Tickets which have passed their start date:
- If you bought your Season Ticket directly from us, we can generally give you a refund if there is:
- Seven weeks (or more) left on an annual Season Ticket
- Seven days (or more) left on a Season Ticket valid between one and ten months
- Three days (or more) left on a weekly Season Ticket
- You can apply for a part-refund on your season ticket by surrendering its remaining validity.
- A £10 admin fee will be applied.
- Refunds are calculated from the first to the last date of travel and is the difference between what you originally paid and what you would have paid for a Season Ticket (or combination of tickets) covering that period. Refunds are not calculated on a pro rata basis.
- You won’t get a complete refund for the period of time left on your ticket. To explain, an annual season ticket gives 52 weeks’ worth of travel for the cost of 40, so refunds are calculated on the basis of what you paid rather than period left on the ticket. To find out what your refund might be please visit the National Rail Enquiries Season Ticket calculator.
- We can’t give you a refund if you don’t use your Season Ticket for a period of time then start using it again, unless you have been ill. If you are the ticketholder and have been ill for more than four unbroken weeks we will provide a part-refund for the time the ticket was unused. To claim a sickness refund please send a copy of your ticket and copies of your medical certificate to our Customer Services team.
- We do not provide a Season Ticket suspension service.
Under normal circumstances Advance tickets are not refundable, but in line with the government policy we have temporarily amended these rules -
- Advance tickets purchased before 7am on Monday 23 March for travel before 23 March can be exchanged for a voucher.
- All Advance tickets purchased before 7am on Monday 23 March for travel from this date onwards are now eligible for a fee-free refund, regardless of whether the train is cancelled. This date coincides with the new reduced timetable.
- Any Advance tickets purchased after 7am on Monday 23 March will only be eligible for a refund if the service is subsequently cancelled or delayed and the passenger decides not to travel, in accordance with the National Rail Conditions of Travel.
|1. Advance tickets purchased for travel before 23 March||
2. Advance tickets purchased before 7am on 23 March for travel from this date onwards
|3. Advance tickets purchased after 7am on 23 March
A voucher will be provided to the value of the ticket, to be used for travel at a later date.
Full refund with no admin fee
Eligible for a refund only if the service is subsequently cancelled or delayed and you decide not to travel, in accordance with the National Rail Conditions of Travel.
If you have any additional refund queries please contact our Customer Services team.