Applying for a role with Southeastern? Find out what to expect from our application and recruitment process
How we recruit
Everyone’s recruitment journey will be slightly different – but to help you know what to expect, here’s a look at our standard application and recruitment process.
Not every stage applies to all roles.
- Applications. You’ll apply online, using our application form.
- Assessment. If your application is successful, we may ask you to do online tests or come to an assessment centre – or both. At the assessment centre you’ll complete a range of ability and psychometric tests related to the role.
- Interview. You’ll be interviewed by at least two interviewers. At Southeastern we use structured interviews which include competency-based and behavioural questions. Every candidate going through the interview process is asked exactly the same questions, to ensure the process is objective and fair. The interviews are designed to let us measure your suitability against the skills, knowledge and experience needed for the role.
- Medical. We’ll ask you to attend a medical, which will include drugs and alcohol screening. This is compulsory for everyone. If your role is safety-critical, you’ll need a more comprehensive pre-employment medical assessment.
- Offer. We’ll send you your offer letter and contract, subject to your medical results.
- Referencing. All offers of employment are subject to us obtaining satisfactory references (covering all education, training, employment and unemployment in the preceding 5 years and any previous railway employment). We will also complete right to work in the UK and criminal record checks. This is to ensure we are employing the best person for the role and to protect our customers, colleagues and our reputation.
Southeastern welcomes applications from candidates regardless of background, disability or gender. We’re committed to creating a workforce as diverse as the communities we serve.
Take a look at our careers portal for our current vacancies, or register your details for future opportunities.