We are offering a special £10 weekend ticket for return travel from London to Margate during the winter months.
The Portas Pilot ticket is valid for return travel each weekend from Saturday 3 November to Sunday 24 February 2013, and can only be bought online from the Southeastern website.
500 Portas Pilot tickets will be available every weekend for the duration of this offer, sold on a first come, first served basis.
The special deal is in support of the Portas Pilot initiative for Margate led by retail and marketing expert, Mary Portas. It is hoped the special fare will help boost visitor numbers to the town.
Southeastern’s managing director, Charles Horton said: “Margate is one of Mary Portas’ Pilot Towns and Southeastern is pleased to support the initiative. Since we launched the high speed service in 2009, we’ve seen passenger numbers from London to Margate increase by around 60 percent. We’ve also seen a boost in numbers following the opening of the Turner Contemporary and the town is very popular in the summer, but we see less passengers travelling in the winter months.
“I met with Mary Portas last week to share our enthusiasm for supporting the regeneration of Margate and we’re pleased to announce a special £10 return ticket deal. We’re calling it the ‘Portas Pilot’ ticket and we hope it will encourage more visitors to travel to Margate on the weekends during winter.”
Southeastern is also supporting the Portas Pilot re-launch of Margate, by offering the programme 500 free high speed tickets from London to Margate this coming weekend, 20 October 2012.
Mr Horton said: “Mary Portas and her team have been doing a lot of work with local businesses in Margate and they’ll be holding a re-launch of the town this weekend. We’ve offered Mary 500 free tickets to support the event and we wish the local Margate Town Team the best of success.”
Mary Portas added: “This promotion sums up the spirit of the Portas Pilots. Everyone playing their part to bring the buzz back to our town centres. Get on board and find out what all the fuss is about.”
Terms and Conditions
- The ticket is only available to buy online here from the Southeastern website.
- The Portas Pilot ticket will be available for the period Saturday 3 November 2012 to Sunday 24 February 2013 inclusive, at weekends only.
- The ticket is not valid for mid-week travel.
- The ticket is valid for return travel on high speed, metro and mainline services.
- The ticket is valid from London to Margate only – it is not valid for return travel from Margate to London, and journeys cannot be broken.
- The £10 Portas Pilot ticket is less than a third of a regular off-peak adult day return from London to Margate (£31.10)
- This is an adult return ticket only, it is not available for children.
- Southeastern’s Kids for a Quid offer is available at ticket offices with a valid Portas Pilot ticket.
- The Portas Pilot ticket cannot be used in conjunction with any other offer.
- Railcard discounts cannot be used with this ticket.
- Tickets are non-refundable and non-returnable.
- No other discounts apply.
- National Rail Conditions of Carriage apply.