Southeastern is giving away 5,000 free tickets on the high speed service for spectators attending the British University and Colleges Sport (BUCS) Visa Outdoor Athletics Championships at the Olympic Stadium on Saturday (5 May).
Southeastern is using the championships as a transport test event for the high speed service which will be known as the ‘Javelin’ service during the London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games.
Charles Horton, managing director of Southeastern said: “We’re pleased to offer spectators to this weekend’s student games the opportunity to travel on our high speed service free of charge. This event is allowing us the opportunity to test our operations ahead of the Games.
“The ‘Javelin’ train is an important component of the London 2012 transport plan and will play a key role in conveying spectators to and from events. We’re planning for an estimated 25,000 people an hour to use the seven minute service during the Olympic Games.
“During the Games there’s a special timetable providing eight trains an hour and we’ll be having special queuing arrangements and additional station and platform staff on-hand to assist the running of the service.
“This Saturday’s student games will allow us to put some of these arrangements to the test and give us the opportunity to refine our plans to ensure the smooth running of the Javelin service,” he said.
How to claim your free rail tickets:
Any spectator with a valid ticket for the “2012 Hours To Go” evening event in the Olympic Stadium at the Olympic Park, Stratford on Saturday 5 May, can apply for a free return rail travel between St Pancras International station and Stratford International station. The tickets are limited and will be issued on a first-come-first-served basis.
Apply by email: firstname.lastname@example.org or write to:
Southeastern Customer Services
PO Box 63428
London, SE1P 5FD
Terms and conditions:
Please see the full terms and conditions here
Note to editors:
For information about the British University and Colleges Sport (BUCS) Visa Outdoor Athletics Championships visit: www.bucs.org.uk
Information about the Javelin service during London 2012:
Southeastern’s high speed service will play a key role during the Games and will be known as the ‘Javelin’ shuttle service.
- Up to 25,000 people could be transported to and from Stratford International Station each hour on the ‘Javelin’ train from St Pancras International station, in less than seven minutes.
- The Javelin timetable will commence on Friday 27 July- Sunday 12 August and a separate Paralympic Games timetable will run between Wednesday 29 August and Sunday 9 September.
- The Javelin train service (27 July- 12 August) will provide eight trains an hour between St Pancras International and Ebbsfleet International.
The service will also provide:
- 12 trains per hour between St Pancras and Ebbsfleet International during the game’s ‘bump out’ time (23:00 – 01:59)
- An overnight ½ hourly shuttle 02:00 and 05:00 between St Pancras and Stratford.
- During the Games the high speed service will continue to Ashford International at the same frequency as now and a reduced service will extend to North Kent stations.